Thursday, July 8, 2021

Hollywood Hills Hike, The Griffith, and Hermosa Beach - 07/02/2021 (Day 16)

Friday was an exciting day as I got to do two things I have never done before. I got to hike up to the Hollywood sign and visit the Griffith Observatory.

We started the morning going to the Hollywood sign in Hollywood Hills.  My friend Caitlin recommended the Innsdale Trail to hike up near the Hollywood sign. It was a fantastic location, as we are right able to park right at the trailhead. We walked about 1.25 miles up and then back (2.5 miles total). It was hot, dusty, and we didn't bring enough water, so we didn't want to push it.  The views were absolutely stunning though.  






After hiking up near the Hollywood sign, we drove over to Griffith Park to go to the Griffith Observatory. This building is absolutely beautiful and has an amazing view of Los Angeles and the surrounding cities.




The day we went, I believe was the first day the Griffith Observatory was back open. Even though it was a Friday, it was swamped. People were parked two miles down the hill, just to walk up to the top and see the observatory. Parking is $10 an hour in the area and there were hundreds, if not thousands of cars there.  We got lucky and hit the jackpot as a car was leaving from the top, just as we arrived.




All of the exhibits in the observatory are free to look at. My oldest daughter, who's very much into astronomy and wanting to be an astronaut, absolutely loved being in there. There were so many hands on things for the kids to do and look at.







After leaving the Griffith, we drove directly to Hermosa Beach, where my friend Anthony lives.  We parked just outside of his apartment and walked a block down to the beach. The girls played in the water for a while there, but it was a lot cooler and less sunnier than Santa Monica was a few days earlier.

My friend Caitlin joined my family and Anthony at the beach.  After the girls were done with the water, we went down to the pier area, to get dinner. We ate dinner at a place called American Junkie, and the food was great. I got the Hangover Burger which is described as having a beef brisket patty, pepper jack and cheddar cheese, fried egg, bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomato, onion, and bacon jalapeƱo aioli.  After that we walked across the street and the girls got ice cream sandwiches at the Baked Bear.  They were amazing!!!

I think one of the things my kids like to the most about going to Hermosa Beach is that they got to skateboard on the boardwalk. They brought their skateboards to California specifically so they could do that. They were very happy.



After saying goodbye to my friends, we headed back to the Airbnb and crashed after another crazy busy day.  We did see an amazing, colorful sunset that night at the beach though.



No comments:

Post a Comment

FINALLY Visiting an Elusive Museum and Coming Home (Day 16)

One of the places I have always wanted to visit was the RV Hall of Fame and Museum in Elkhart, Indiana.  I know it sounds silly, but I have...