Friday, July 2, 2021

Leaving Las Vegas to See Some Big Trees - 06/27/2021 (Day 11)

We left Las Vegas and headed west on Sunday morning. We were driving to Tulare to spend the night before going to see the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park.  Along the way, we stopped in Baker, California to get her picture taken with the World's Largest Thermometer. 



The thermometer said it was 108. My car said it was 121. Needless to say it was super hot there. Hotter than when we were in Death Valley a few days earlier. 



After leaving there we headed to Peggy Sue's 50's Diner in Yermo, California. We had a great meal there.  I've heard about this location on the Route 66 Facebook groups I'm a member of.  



Even though it was super hot, we went to the Calico Ghost Town just up the street from Peggy Sue's.  Let me tell you, the Calico Ghost Town was amazing. It is a fully functioning town run by the local government. 






There's a silver mine you can walk through. 









A bunch of shops. 




And a train you can ride on. 



And you can even pan for gold. 




Even though it was super hot, my daughters loved it. After leaving the Calico Ghost Town, we went to the hotel in Tulare. It was a long day in the car, but the Calico Ghost Town made it a lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FINALLY Visiting an Elusive Museum and Coming Home (Day 16)

One of the places I have always wanted to visit was the RV Hall of Fame and Museum in Elkhart, Indiana.  I know it sounds silly, but I have...